- The National Weather Service predicts a slight chance of showers but today but mostly sunny, with a high near 74. Tonight may be mostly clear with a low around 50.
- The Economic Development Commission meets in the Town Hall Annex at 4:30 p.m. and the RTM Community Development and Services Committee has a special meeting in the Town Hall Annex at 7 p.m.
- Groton-area middle school students are invited to enter a contest to express what the heroism and commitment of American veterans mean to them. The top winner of the contest will ride in the 14th annual Connecticut Veterans Parade on Sunday, November 3 and be honored at a special ceremony in the Connecticut State Capitol Building’s Hall of Flags. Essay contest entry rules and applications are available on-line at both www.ctveteransparade.org or at www.ct.gov/ctva, or by calling (860) 653-4484.
- Want to roller derby? Are you interested in being a referee? Thinking about volunteering? Come early learn the skills you'll need to be a skater and get information on being a referee or volunteer tonight. This year the Shoreline Roller Derby is recruiting 18+ but to skate or ref you must have health insurance. Show up early if you want information but practices for fresh meat start tonight and go from 8:30 p.m-10:30pm at Galaxy Roller Rink. Practices are $10 or $45 for the whole month. Skates will be available to rent from Galaxy for $5. Protective gear (helmet, elbow pads, wrist guards, knee pads) is available on a first come, first served basis. Bring your own mouth guard. Email email@example.com with further questions.
- The Taste of Mystic begins tomorrow! Join hundreds of hungry people down on Cottrell Street for samples of appetizers, entrees and desserts served by the area’s favorite restaurants and caterers. The fun starts at 5 p.m. and continues through the weekend.