The Mystic & Noank Library is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a $138,400 Historic Restoration Fund Grant. The exterior rehabilitation of the Mystic & Noank Library including window restoration and replacement has been financed in part by the State of Connecticut utilizing Community Investment Act funds administered by the Department of Economic and Community Development.
The grant allows the Library to some very important work to the original 1893 section of the Library, including repairing original features such as the copper clad cupola and the two original terra cotta reliefs in the pediments. It will also assist in the removal of asbestos and lead paint and in the repair and preservation of stained glass windows. The needed work was identified by Noyes and Vogt Architects through a Historic Technical Assistance Grant that the library had previously received from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation. The overall cost of the repair work is estimated at $300,000.
Many volunteers worked with Library Director, Lois Hiller, on the grant application. They include John Porter, Anne Shipley, Lew Foster, John Casey, Todd Brady, Lou Allyn, and Mike Johnson. Frank Eppinger performed a pro bono title search as well.
“We are extremely grateful to those who provided funding for this grant, including our Rep. Elissa Wright and Sen. Andrew Maynard, along with Governor Malloy,” said Hiller. “The Library is an irreplaceable architectural edifice that helps define Mystic. We are indebted to the State Historic Preservation Office for their appreciation of the importance of preserving our towns’ heritage.”
Ann Shipley, Co-President of the Board of Trustees for the Library, added, “We are thrilled with this grant. With the interior renovations in 2010 and exterior renovations to begin this summer, we are being good stewards to this beautiful building and to the gift that Elihu Spicer made to the town 119 years ago.”
The Mystic and Noank Library is a public association library. Located in the town of Groton, the Library primarily serves residents of Mystic, Noank, Groton Long Point, Stonington, and Old Mystic. Resources and programs are available for groups from pre-school to senior citizens.
The Library was established in 1893 by Captain Elihu Spicer, who donated the land and building for the communities of Mystic and Noank. It is an impressive two-story building, restored and expanded in 1991 with the addition of a children’s wing and a public meeting room.