1. Today is Tuesday, April 2. The National Weather Service predicts a 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 9 a.m., then gradual clearing and a high temperature of 54 degrees. It'll be breezy, with a wind of 21 to 30 mph and gusts as high as 43 mph. The low will drop to 31 degrees tonight.
2. The Board of Education meets at 7 p.m. tonight in the school administration building and . The board will also hold an executive session to discuss personnel issues. Groton is looking at redistricting to consolidate from three middle schools to two and correct a racial imbalance at Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School.
3. The Town Council's Committee of the Whole meets at 6 p.m. today in the Town Hall Annex to continue reviewing The committee met Saturday and voted to add an assistant town manager, remove money elsewhere to add a patrol officer to the police department, and remove the 2 percent salary adjustment from all departments until further discussion at a later meeting. Tonight the council considers the budgets for human services, planning and development and libraries.
4. A longtime member of the retired last week. Sergeant Tony Garcia ws hired in September, 1985, and served as firearms instructor, member of the traffic unit and motorcycle driver. He was promoted to sergeant in 2008, and placed in charge of the training and special services unit. Garcia also taught classes at the Law Enforcement Council Training Blocks.
5. As a reminder, Groton Town offices and Groton City offices will be closed on Friday, April 6, in observance of Good Friday.