1. Today is Wednesday, Aug. 1. The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies, a high temperature of 82 degrees and scattered showers and thunderstorms this afternoon. The low will drop to 68 degrees tonight.
2. may have a different administrative strcuture this year. In the past, the school had one principal and three assistant principals, who spent much of their time on discipline, Principal Joseph Arcarese said. The school department recently named Sean McKenna, one of the high school’s assistant principals, as its the interim assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction.
If McKenna is appointed to the permanent job, the high school may not replace him two student deans – one male and one female- to deal primarily with discipline. The principal and remaining assistant principals would then focus on tasks such as classroom observation and teacher evaluations.
The school board is expected to discuss this new structure further on Aug. 13.
3. The Mystic Moves Dance Theater, a new contemporary dance troupe, will perform excerpts from "Gone Fishing..." from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Thursday at the Mystic Arts Center. The program is free and refreshments will be served after the event, which is part of a monthly program called “Music Art in the Evening”. For more information, call (860) 536-7601.
4. at 5 p.m. today at the school at 200 Hazelnut Hill Road in Groton. Classrooms are organized to create a sense of order for children and allow them to explore. A second open house for parents of preschool and kindergarten age children will also be held from 10 a.m. until noon on Saturday, Aug. 18.
5. Professor Kathryn Tomasek, of Wheaton College, will give a presentation at 7 p.m. today at Groton Public Library on educating women in colonial times. The program is part of the focus on "Caleb's Crossing" by Geraldine Brooks.