1. Today is Wednesday, March 13. The National Weather Service predicts mostly sunny skies, a high temperature of 48 degrees and a slight chance of showers after 2 p.m. The low will drop to 30 degrees tonight.
2. The Groton Public Library Book Club holds its World of Words Australia celebration at 7 p.m. today in the library. The group will discuss the memoir Foreign Correspondence, by Geraldine Brooks. The book is about Brooks, who grew up in Sydney, Australia and corresponded with pen pals around the world, then searched to find them years later.
3. The Builders and Remodelers Association of Eastern Connecticut will hold its annual bowling tournament from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. on March 23 at the Holiday Bowl in Groton. Part of the proceeds will go to Thames River Community Service, Inc., which provides services such as temporary housing for formerly homeless families. For more information or to sign up, call (860) 859-3518.
4. Charter Oak Federal Credit Union’s community giving program donated more than $18,500 to local organizations in February, according to a credit union press release. Nine groups received money, including Eastern Connecticut Housing Opportunities, Inc.; Fairview Odd Fellows Home of Connecticut; Mystic Area Shelter and Hospitality, Inc.; CareNet Pregnancy Resource Center of Southeastern Connecticut and the New London Area Food Coalition, Inc.
5. The Groton Business Association will hold its next meeting from 7:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. on March 21 at Fairview Odd Fellows Home of Connecticut. Admission is free, and Victor Tarry, digital marketing specialist for The Day, will speak. The business association is a part of the Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce, and promotes businesses in the Groton area.