1. Today is Tuesday, April 3. The National Weather Service predicts sunnyskies and a high temperature of 58 degrees. Tonight will be mostly cloudy with a low of 43 degrees.
2. A Mystic couple has applied for a special permit to create a small vegetarian and vegan café in the Factory Square Complex in Mystic. Kate’s Café would serve breakfast and lunch and seat fewer than 30 people at a time, according to the application by Brian and Katherine Straub. “Currently, there is no restaurant in downtown Mystic featuring this type of cuisine, so Kate’s Café will fit in nicely, adding to the diversity in dining options in historic Mystic. . .” the application said. A public hearing will be held at 7 p.m. on April 4 in the Town Hall Annex.
3. Nearly 160 people attended the alpaca program at on March 24, one of the library’s World of Words Peru events. Linda Adelman, the owner of Six Paca Farm brought two alpacas into the library and talked about their importance to the South American people and role in the textile industry. “They brought them all through the audience,” said Youth Services Librarian Tracy Torres. “It was great.”
4. Gov. Dannel Malloy will attend a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Pier 31 at 11 a.m. on April 12 at Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton. Pier 31 is a new “doublewide” pier, which allows workers to access a submarine from both sides, according to The Dolphin.
5. Abbott's Lobster in the Rough in Noank has won another Reader’s Choice award. The restaurant is the winner of the 2012 About.com Readers' Choice for , according to a news release. About.com honors products and services in more than a dozen categories. Abbott’s opens this spring on May 4.