1. Today is Tuesday, Feb. 26. The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 42 degrees. Tonight will be raw, rainy and windy. The forecast calls for a low of 35 degrees, a 100 percent chance of rain, mostly after 10 p.m. and winds of 14 to 24 mph, with gusts up to 34 mph.
2. A portable toilet was set on fire and destroyed at Sutton Park, according to a report by the town purchasing division. A police report indicated the fire was set, but no arrests were made, the report said. Meanwhile, the company, "A Royal Flush," is not listed on the town's insurance policy, so insurance will not pay for the damages. The company has since replaced the toilet, which cost $1,600, the report said. The company has been added to the insurance in case damage happens again, the report said.
3. The Mystic River Bridge closure, which was scheduled to take place from 7 a.m. on March 1 until 1 p.m. on March 3, has been postponed. It will be rescheduled soon. During the bridge closure, businesses will still be open along with Route 1. Traffic will be diverted from Route 1 to I-95 along Allyn Street in Groton, and Rte. 27 in Stonington.
4. The Town Council's Committee of the Whole will meet at 6 p.m. today in the Town Hall Annex. Agenda items include: a joint meeting with the Groton Long Point Board of Directors; discussion of the bond referendum to extend utilities up Flanders Road; and a potential executive session regarding the Noank Fire District's response to use the former Noank School.
5. The Backus Mobile Van will be at the Groton Senior Center from 10 a.m. until noon on March 6 to offer diabetic foot and bone density screenings if you need either of those services.