1. Today is Tuesday, Oct. 16. The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies and a high temperature of 62 degrees. The low will fall to 40 tonight.
2. Groton Public Schools will hold the second of four meetings on the new redistricting plan at 6 p.m. on Wednesday at Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School. A consultant outlined a new version of the redistricting plan last week that would move 522 children and affect every elementary school to correct a racial imbalance and even out student populations.
Groton was forced to redistrict because the state cited it for a racial imbalance at the magnet school.
3. The Animal Welfare League will hold its fall Thanks-FURR-Giving resale fundraiser from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Oct. 20, and from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Oct. 21, at the Boilermakers Lodge 614 at 33 Sacred Heart Drive in Groton. The group will also introduce two Siberian Huskies – Jasmine and Grace – who were rescued from the Hartford pound and turned into therapy dogs. For more information, call (860) 445-0280.
4. The Mystic Arts Center will honor National Breast Cancer Awareness month with a special showing of the “In the Pink” exhibit at 6 p.m. today during “Art After Dark”, a summer concert series at the arts center on Water Street. Tickets are $12. The Soul Searchers will perform live. The exhibit will feature art for sale from Tom Jennerwein, Samantha Smith Listorti and Tara Rose Smith.
5. Groton Public Library will hold a free showing of the movie The Hunger Games at 6 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. today at the library. The film is based on the series by Suzanne Collins, is rated PG-13 and runs for 142 minutes. No registration is required.