1. Today is Tuesday, Jan. 15. The National Weather Service predicts mostly cloudy skies and a high temperature of 42 degrees. The low will drop to 34 degrees tonight and there's a 90 percent chance of rain, snow and sleet before 1 a.m.
2. Bess Eaton is expected to open at the end of this week in The Bridge Market on Fort Hill Road. Bess Eaton sells freshly brewed coffee and doughnuts, is hiring for the Groton site and is almost done with its work inside the Bridge Market. Market Owner Karen Dole installed more common seating last week for customers and said the ultimate goal for the market is to eliminate groceries and become a "food mall."
3. The will hold its grand opening and ribbon cutting from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Jan. 24 at the store. The store carries a wide range of supplies for women undergoing breast cancer surgery and treatment, including breast prosthesis forms; mastectomy bras, negligees, swimsuits and camisoles; compression stockings, Lindi skin care lotions for chemotherapy and radiation-related skin problems and stretchy head covers and pre-tied scarves.
4. St. John’s Christian Church in Groton will sponsor a citywide unity service celebrating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at 10 a.m. on Jan. 21 at the church at 346 Shennecossett Road. All are welcome. Rev. Joseph L. Coleman is pastor.
5. Groton Public Schools mentoring program is offering new mentor training at 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 7 at West Side Middle School if you have an hour a week to spare and would like to make a difference in a child’s life. The program asks mentors to spend one hour per week with a student during school hours to develop a friendship and serve as a role model, encourager and listener. For more information, call mentor steering committee members Sharon A. Schick at (860) 449-5630, ext. 105 or Ken Medve at (860) 449-7200, ext. 2235.