1. Today is Wednesday, Aug. 15. The National Weather Service forecasts mostly cloudy skies, a high temperature of 70 degrees and a 60 percent change of rain and thunderstorms. The temperature will fall to 69 degrees tonight.
2. Incoming fifth grade students at Claude Chester will attend an event at the school from 9:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. today. The school is providing activities, lunch and transportation for the students.
The school is trying to provide a transition for students, to ease crowding at the magnet school.
3. Registration for Groton Adult Education will be held from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Aug. 20, 22 and 23 at West Side Middle School. Adult Education offers programs to allow students to complete a high school diploma, earn a G.E.D. or learn English as a second language. Classes for the first semester start Aug. 27.
4. The police department has recieved a new Safe Boat Defender vessel to assist with public safety of recreational boats as well as military vessels and swimmers using waters around Groton, according to a report by the town manager. The boat is 31 feet long and 10 feet wide and has radar, a GPS and radios. The federal government provided funding for the boat.
5. The transfer station will begin selling permits on Aug. 25 through Sept. 22, according to an update by public works. Residents can buy permits during regular visits to the transfer station, which is open from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Wednesdays through Saturdays. The new rate for an annual hangtag permit has increased from $65 to $80.