1. Today is Tuesday, March 12. The National Weather Service predicts rain and a high temperature of 52 degrees. The low will fall to 37 degrees tonight and rain will continue, with as much as one-half inch to one inch possible during the day and night.
2. The Groton Town Council will meet as a committee of the whole at 6 p.m. today in the town hall annex and consider items including a potential blight ordinance. A draft of the ordinance defines blight .
3. Groton Human Services is seeking the town council’s approval to apply for a grant to pay for continued short-term counseling and crisis intervention programs for Groton youth and families.
In the past, a grant from the state Department of Education has paid part of the salaries of youth and family service counselors who provide three-month counseling to youth referred by police, schools, the probate court and other agencies, according to a memo by Human Services Director Marge Fondulas. About 300 Groton young people benefit from the services or activities of the program, the memo said.
4. Groton Public Library will host a Downton Abbey Tea and Talk at 7 p.m. today for fans of series. The event is free and open to the public, and registration is not required. If you watch the show, stop in for tea or coffee and talk about your favorite and least favorite character, and what you think might happen next.
5. Groton Parks and Recreation is holding sign ups for the Groton Special Olympics Summer Sports at 8:30 a.m. today at the offices at 27 Spicer Avenue in Noank. Sports include cycling, track and field, wheel chair track and field, unified soccer and aquatics. Training begins at the end of the month. For more information, call (860) 536-5691