1. Today is Thursday, Feb. 16. The National Weather Service predicts cloudy skies, a high temperature of 44 degrees and rain later today. The low will fall to 38 degrees tonight. The chance of rain is 30 percent this afternoon, 80 percent tonight.
2. Town Manager Mark Oefinger said he has been in contact with a potential group The group has not been named publicly, but is expected to submit a proposal to the state to use the facility as a school. The plan would use most of the existing buildings, keep the swimming pool and possibly partner with the town so that it could also use facilities like the pool or fields. The deadline for proposals to use the property is Feb. 17, according to the state Department of Administrative Services.
3. The Town Council on Tuesday authorized the town to proceed with two projects at the Copp property. Both would be paid for with grants; one would spend $42,000 to establish an open field that could be used for activities like kite flying, and the second would spend $150,000 to improve the existing trail system.
4. The Department of Public Works recently installed devices in the Groton Senior Center to activate the heating and cooling system to deal with moisture problems. Town Manager Mark Oefinger said he expects that either public works or the recreation department will be able to come up with $5,000 to install an automatic door in the center to the community room.
Last month, the , including the humidity control devices, doors and generator. The generator was the most expensive, and would have cost $180,000.
5. Governor Dannel P. Malloy will be the keynote speaker today The meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa.