1. Today is Friday, Jan. 18. The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies and a high temperature of 33 degrees. The low will drop to 25 degrees tonight.
2. The Poquonnock Bridge Fire Department is offering a car seat clinic from 12:30 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. on Monday at the station at 13 Fort Hill Road. The program is open to the public, but you’ll need an appointment: Call (860) 442-0733. Certified child passenger safety technicians will check your child’s car seat to make sure it’s properly installed and answer any questions you may have.
3. Groton Multicultural Montessori is holding a free open house at 10 a.m. on Saturday at the school at 200 Hazelnut Hill Road in Groton. The rooms are organized to promote order and encourage children to explore learning on their own, as well as meet the needs of children at varying stages of development.
4. The Northeast Academy Parent Teacher Organization is sponsoring a spaghetti supper and basket raffle from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Feb. 28 to raise money for PTO sponsored events. In past years, the event was a fifth grade fundraiser, but now benefits children from all grades. The cost is $8 for adults and $4 for kids. Children ages 3 and under are free.
5. Latitude 41° Restaurant & Tavern will host a benefit dinner at 6 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 25, to benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. The United Way of Western Connecticut and the Newtown Savings Bank created the fund to help the community following the school shootings. Donations and 30 percent of the proceeds from the event will go directly to the fund.
The menu includes beer-poached sausage sampler, ale and butternut squash bisque, horseradish encrusted bistro steak, and wild berry pie a la mode. Tickets are $55 per person ($45 for members of the restaurant’s Mug Club). To make a reservation, call (860) 572-5303.