1. Today is Thursday, Jan. 17. The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 41 degrees. The low will fall to 24 degrees tonight, and there's a 40 percent chance of snow after 10 p.m.
2. Groton Public Schools began registering children for kindergarten for the 2013-14 school year this week. If you have a child who will turn 5 years old before Jan. 1, 2014, call (860) 572-2197 to schedule a registration appointment. If your child already attends one of the district's elementary preschool programs and will turn 5 by the deadline, it's not necessary to register.
3. Groton Little League will hold its regular montly meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 24 at the Groton City Municipal Building. A meeting agenda will be posted before the meeting, and registration information will be posted by the end of this week.
4. Bill Memorial Library Groton City will hold a free Retro Gaming Night at 6 p.m. today for teens in grades 6 to 12. The program will last about two hours, snacks and drinks will be provided, and the kids can try out a Nintendo 64 and see what top games were like 20 years ago. Registration is recommended. Call (860) 445-0392.
5. The New England Science & Sailing Foundation will hold a free open house for educators and families at 5 p.m. today at the school at 70 Water St. in Stonington. The event is a chance for families to meet staff, find out about summer programs and check out the new marine science lab.