1. Today is Tuesday, Jan. 22. The National Weather Service predicts mostly sunny skies, a wind of 20 to 22 mph, and a high temperature of 27 degrees. It'll be frigid tonight, with a low of 12 degrees.
2. For parents of children in little league, it's almost that time again. The Mystic Little League and Mystic Babe Ruth League will hold registration from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Jan. 26 and Feb. 23 at the B.F. Hoxie Fire Dept at 52 Broadway in Mystic. The league is open to players ages 4 to 18.
The Groton Little League holds its regular monthly meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday in the Groton City Municipal Building, and is expected to announce registration dates shortly.
3. Shennecossett Golf Course reopened 18 holes for play on Jan. 11, and saw more than 400 golfers that weekend. According to the town manager's weekly report, the combination of good weather and having only one other golf course open helped to draw the crowd.
4. The Town Council will meet as a Committee of The Whole at 6 p.m. today in the Town Hall Annex. Topics on the agenda include a future bond referendum to extend utilities up Flanders Road, 2013 rates for Shennecossett Golf Course, the town budget, and a joint meeting with the Groton Board of Education.
5. Groton Public Library continues its classic cinema series today with a free showing of the movie "Grumpy Old Men" at 2 p.m. at the library. The 1993 comedy stars Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau and runs for 104 minutes. It's rated PG-13.