1. Today is Wednesday, Oct. 24. The National Weather Service predicts cloudy skies, a high temperature of 59 degrees and a 40 percent chance of rain. The low will fall to 50 tonight, and there’s a slight chance of rain or drizzle.
2. There’s one week left to register to vote before the general election on Nov. 6, if you haven’t already done so. . The town has 5,842 Democrats and 3,978 Republicans registered to vote. Another 97 voters were registered with third parties. The deadline to register to vote in person at Groton Town Hall is Tuesday, Oct. 30.
3. A real estate agent from RE/MAX in Groton won the first place Eastern Connecticut Association of REALTORS® 2012 Community Service Award on Oct. 19. Quincy Clayton received the award for his volunteer work the community, and earned a $500 cash award with the honor, which he is donating to S.T.E.P.S in Groton. Quincy volunteers at the New London Covenant Shelter, Fairview Odd Fellows Nursing Home, the Born Again Outreach Ministry, the Susan B. Komen Race For the Cure and Habitat for Humanity.
4. Naval Submarine Base New London will recognize U.S. Senator Joseph I. Lieberman by making him an honorary submariner at an event today, according to a press release from the sub base. Rear Admiral Richard P. Breckenridge, commander of submarine group two; Captain Marc W. Denno, commanding officer of the base; and Captain John McGrath, commanding officer of USS Mississippi will take part in the brief ceremony, which will honor him for his support of the sub force. The event is closed to the public.
5. The Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce will hold their monthly Business Before Hours at Advanced Improvements at 8 a.m. on Nov. 1 at the business on West Main Street in Mystic. Business owner David Preka will be donating items to the business card drawing, including 30-year shingles valued at over $2,500. The drawing will also include $1,500 gift certificate for roof or siding work, and a $2,500 gift certificate toward any addition construction of $20,000.