1. Today is Tuesday, Oct. 2. The National Weather Service predicts cloudy skies, a 40 percent chance of showers and a high temperature of 68 degrees. Rain or drizzle is likely tonight, and the low will fall to 63 degrees.
2. The Groton School Department has set up four meetings in the coming weeks so parents and families may ask questions and learn more about the proposed redistricting plan.
Community meetings will be held at 6 p.m. on Oct. 10 and Nov. 1 at Claude Chester Elementary School; at 6 p.m. on Oct. 17 at Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School and at 6 p.m. on Oct. 24 at Mary Morrisson Elementary School.
3. The school department is still on schedule to finish the portable classrooms at West Side and Cutler Middle Schools by Oct. 29, according to a briefing memo by the interim superintendent. Once the buildings are placed on their foundations, maintenance staff will start installing phones, fire alarm wiring and other equipment, the memo said.
4. The Groton Police Department’s special service division responded to two fights at Fitch Senior High School in May, according to the department’s monthly management report. In both instances - one on May 10 and on May 17 - the school resource officer made an arrest.
5. West Side Middle school will hold its annual Community Fall Festival from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday at Washington Park. The goal is to bring people together for the event after the consolidation of Groton’s middle schools, and organizers expect 800 to 1,000 people to attend.