1. Today is Monday, July 9. The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies and a high temperature of 78 degrees. Tonight will be clear, with a low of 62.
2. The Groton Board of Education will go into executive session at the end of its 7 p.m. meeting today in the Town Hall Annex to hear an update on the .
The board placed Kadri on paid administrative leave in May, pending an investigation of his "interactions with and treatment of district employees." Board Chairwoman Kirsten Hoyt said Friday that investigation is not yet complete. Interim Superintendent Randall Collins has been leading the school system in Kadri’s absence.
3. The school department will hold an informational meeting for the parents and guardians of fifth graders at Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School so they can ask questions The meeting will be held from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Wednesday in the library of Claude Chester Elementary School.
Collins said he held an earlier meeting for parents, but it was at 10 a.m., and the school department wanted to offer an evening session as well.
4. The has been named Business of the Month for July by the Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce. The Inn has been recognized regionally and nationally. Lanier’s Bed & Breakfast, a travel website with more than 45,000 listings, named Steamboat Inn the most unique setting in the United States for the second consecutive year in their Best of the Best category.
The Inn has also been named Best Historic Inn for Best of New England. The Greater Mystic Chamber said the business has consistently given back to local organizations, such as Hospice SECT and the Mystic Arts Center.
5. Want to quit smoking? The Groton Senior Center is offering the free program “Smoking Cessation - Becoming An Ex” from 5 p.m. until 6 p.m. today in the senior center. For more information, check the Ledgelight Health District website at http://www.ledgelighthd.org.