1. Today is Monday, January 14. The National Weather Service predicts fog this morning, cloudy skies, and a 30 percent change of showers, mainly before 10 a.m. The high temperature will be 48 degrees. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low temperature of 33 degrees and change of freezing rain and sleet overnight.
2. The Groton Board of Education meetings at 7 p.m. today in the Town Hall Annex and will receive updates on redistricting, school facilities, hiring and the budget. The school board recently approved a redistricting plan that would move about 370 students in kindergarten through grade 4, and plans to present this plan to the state Board of Education next month.
3. William Kelly of the Groton Little League, has asked for a meeting with the Town Parks and Recreation Department to talk about improvements to Calvin Borrows field. The league is also asking anyone wishing to provide umpire services for the 2013 season need to prepare a proposal through the league websie. The Request for Proposals may be found at this website and must be submitted by Feb. 28, 2013: PO Box 1091, Groton CT 06340.
4. Electric Boat will hold a legislative breakfast to offer talk about the company with senior elected and appointed officials from Southeastern Connecticut at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday at the Mystic Marriott. Company President Kevin Poitras will give an overview of Electric Boat’s 2013 business outlook, will discuss legislative issues it has, and will answer questions.
5. The Shack Restaurant in Groton is donating 10 percent part of its proceeds from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. tonight to the 2013 Fitch High School All-Night Substance-free Graduation Party. The restaurant is at 441 Long Hill Road. If you were planning on going out to eat, stop in and benefit a good cause.