1. Today is Tuesday, Aug. 21. The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies, a high temperature of 81 degrees and a low of 60 degrees tonight.
2. More than 50 students attended the fifth grade mixer at Claude Chester Elementary last week, according to a briefing memo by Interim Superintendent Randall Collins.
The purpose of the event was to provide a chance for students from Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School and other fifth graders to meet their teachers, have lunch and visit classrooms. at the magnet school.
3. Four schools in Groton had carpet and floor tile replaced this summer in addition to Mary Morrisson Elementary. The school department installed new flooring and carpet in Cutler Middle School, West Side Middle School, S.B. Butler Elementary and Claude Chester Elementary, Collins said in his briefing memo.
4. Groton is seeking input from the public on its plans to repair or replace the Groton Long Point Road Bridge over Palmer’s Cove. The town has scheduled a “public listening session” from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Aug. 30 in the Town Hall Annex to discuss the project.
The public works department has contracted with the engineering company URS Corporation, which will take part in the session, then hold a second session before compiling information and presenting it to the Town Council.
5. Employees at Groton-based gave nearly $52,300 during a one-week campaign to the United Way of Southeastern Connecticut, the company said in a news release. The collections set a record for employee participation, which reached 84 percent, the company said.