1. Today is Tuesday, July 31. The National Weather Service predicts mostly cloudy skies, a high temperature of 75 degrees and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight. The low will drop to 64 degrees.
2. The Groton Town Council and Board of Education will hold a joint meeting at 6 p.m. today in the Town Hall Annex The group has 18 potential members, although others may be added before final appointments are made. Town officials plan to ask Mike Zuba, associate senior planner with the Branford consulting firm Milone & MacBroom, to facilitate discussion of the group.
3. Aug. 3 is the last chance to register a booth for and receive the early bird discount. The Festival will be held from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6 at Poquonnock Plains Park, and sees thousands of visitors. For more information, call Jerry Lokken at (860) 536-5682.
4. The Groton Rotary meets at 12:15 p.m. today in the Octagon Steakhouse Restaurant if you haven’t been. Weekly meetings include a buffet at a cost of $20 per person, a featured speaker and networking opportunities.
5. One of the programs at the Groton Senior Center is mentioned in the National Council on Aging's 2012 Program Guide, according to a report by the town manager. The program, called "Reading Hand in Hand", brings children from Claude Chester Elementary to the Senior Center to connect the generations.