1. Today is Friday, Nov. 9. The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies and a high temperature of 51 degrees. Tonight will be cloudy and breezy and the low will fall to 37 degrees.
2. Sentencing is scheduled today in New London Superior Court .
According to the arrest warrant in the case, Otero walked into the Groton City Police Department shortly before 10:30 p.m. on March 7, 2010, and told officers that a woman’s body was in a freezer in the basement of an apartment at 1184 Gold Star Highway.
Responding officers arrived at the apartment, which was rented by Brisson,, 51, and found her fully-dressed body in the freezer. The warrant suggested she may have been dead for several days before Otero contacted police.
3. At least two Groton schools plan Veterans Day events today. Students from West Side Middle School will hold a breakfast and Veterans Day celebration and have invited local veterans. The breakfast begins at 8:45 a.m., and the ceremony will be held from 10 a.m. until 11 a.m. at the school.
At Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School, students who have been working for several weeks on thank you cards for veterans and active duty military, will give them to a manager of the Applebee’s restaurant in Groton at 11:15 a.m. today at the school. The cards were written as part of the Applebee’s “Thank You Movement”, created in 2008 to recognize veterans and active duty military personnel.
4. Electric Boat will hold an observance ceremony for Veterans Day at 11 a.m. today just inside the main gate. Speakers will include an EB engineer who returned from a guard deployment to Afghanistan last year and a union official and Navy veteran.
5. Mystic Aquarium is also recognizing the holiday. The aquarium will offer free admission to active and retired military from Nov. 10 to Nov. 12 in honor of Veterans Day. Family members will receive a military general admission rate of $15 per adult and $10 per child.