1. Today is Thursday, Feb. 9. The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies, then gradual clearing and a high temperature of 43 degrees. The low will fall to 29 tonight.
2. On Jan. 29, Dollar Tree opened 30 stores throughout the country, including the store on Long Hill Road in Groton. The Groton store was the highest grossing in sales, Town Mayor Heather Bond Somers told the council Tuesday.
3. On Jan. 23, DiCesare-Bentley Engineers of Groton withdrew an application it filed on behalf of EURO Trading Company for a wetlands permit. The company had planned to build a new company headquarters on Hazelnut Hill Road in Groton, including a two-story, 5,322 square foot office building and a 29,565 square foot warehouse. The engineering company referred calls to the trading company, which did not return a call seeking comment.
4. The town is holding an event from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. on March 22 at to honor former Groton Town Council Catherine Kolnaski and thank her for her service. The event is free and all are welcome. She returned to the Town Council in 1995 and served until last year.
5. The Town Council will meet jointly with the Board of Education at 9 a.m. on Saturday in the academic building to talk about the town's future. Topics include "what makes a good Groton" and "good education in Groton." The meeting is open to the public.