1. Today is Monday, Aug. 20. The National Weather Service predicts cloudy skies, a 50 percent chance of rain, and a high temperature of 70 degrees. The low will fall to 59 degrees tonight.
2. The Amber Alert Program registered 130 children at Groton's 3rd annual National Night Out earlier this month, according to a report by the Town Manager. Nearly 1,000 people and representatives from 40 agencies attended the event, which promotes public safety and a relationship between local agencies and the community.
3. Groton Town Police made 64 arrests, including nine for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and six for drug charges, according to the April police report, the most recent given to the Town Manager. The report also showed officers responded to seven motor vehicle accidents and detectives helped with five lie detector exams.
4. reported 1,139 people attended library programs in June, up from 727 during the same month last year, according to the most recent monthly library data. Adult attendance showed the most dramatic increase, from 52 people during June 2011 to 299 this past June. Youth attendance nearly doubled, to 752 people, the library reported.
5. will hold an orientation from 6 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. today, for the parents of incoming students in sixth, seventh and eighth grade. The school's population is expected to more than double this year, from 250 to more than 500 students.