1. Today is Tuesday, March 5. The National Weather Service predicts mostly sunny skies and a high temperature of 44 degrees. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow tonight and the low will fall to 32 degrees.
2. The Groton Town Council is expected to set a public hearing date for the proposed FY 2014 budget for 7 p.m. on March 28 in the Groton Senior Center. The town manager has not presented his budget proposal to the council yet but will shortly.
3. The concert featuring jazz pianist Jack Madry at 3 p.m. on Sunday in the City of Groton Municipal Building is the last in the City Cabaret 2013 concert series. The concert is free, and you can buy dessert and coffee for sale by the Fitch High School Alcohol and Drug Free Party Committee.
4. The Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce will hold its Business Before Hours gathering at 8 a.m. on Thursday at The Pink Mermaid, a new Groton business. The gathering is a networking opportunity for business owners. The Pink Mermaid at 1313 Gold Star Highway serves women undergoing breast cancer treatments and in recovery.
5. Congratulations to these students from Groton and Mystic attending Mitchell College who earned academic distinction during the Fall 2012 term!
From Groton, named to Dean’s List (high honors): Marshall Chiaraluce, Jordan Cook, Ashley Ellery, Dana Ford, Joseph Mellino, Cassandra Merchant, Thomas O’Hara & Courtney Rousseau.
From Mystic, (Groton) being named to Dean’s List (high honors): Drew Doyle, Caitlin Lough, Erich Spader & Olivia Whittle.
From Mystic, (Groton) being named to the Commendable Scholar’s list (honors): Allissa Hein & Jessica Riffle.
From Groton, being named to the Commendable Scholar’s list (honors): Alisa Vancedarfield.