1. Today is Wednesday, July 11. The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies, a high temperature of 79 degrees and a light wind. The low will fall to 61 degrees tonight.
2. Three tennis courts at have major cracks and will be repaired, according to a briefing memo by Interim Superintendent Randall Collins. The school department has signed a contract with Cape Island Tennis and Track to fill the cracks and repaint the surface. “This project will give us at least 6 years of good service and likely longer for $22,000,” the memo said.
3. The school department has also contracted with Paquette Electric to install energy efficiency lights and automatic switches at , the briefing memo said. The program will cost about $75,000, half of which will be paid for by a city utilities grant. The goal is to remove light ballasts containing PCBs, a carcinogen used previously in florescent lights. The project will cover its cost in about five years through energy efficiency, the memo said.
4. Groton Public Library’s by Kevin McBride, director of the Research Department at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum. McBride will speak about 17th Century Colonial America. The program is free and open to the public.
5. The Savin Rock Roasting Company in Mystic hosts free karaoke every Wednesday night from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. If you like to sing, this is a chance to have a little fun and show off your voice!