1. Today is Thursday, Jan. 31. The National Weather Service predicts showers this morning, gusty winds of 23 to 28 mph, and falling temperatures down to 40 degrees. Wind gusts could reach 45 mph. Tonight will be party cloudy and breezy, with a low of 28 degrees.
2. Ledge Light Health District is holding a meeting at noon today at its headquarters on Broad Street in New London, and is expected to discuss the Groton property at 943 North Road. Part of the meeting is an executive session to discuss a possible real estate transaction, and part is an open hearing about the old Groton headquarters.
3. Congressman Joe Courtney will serve as a vice ranking member of the Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee, which is part of the House Armed Services Committee, his office announced this week. The committee has jurisdiction over the U.S. Navy. Courtney will also serve on the Readiness Subcommittee, which oversees military installations, and the Education and Workforce Committee’s Workforce Protections Subcommittee, which handles employment issues like wages and workers’ safety.
4. Saturday is Take Your Child to the Library Day, and Groton Public Library will have a birthday party for Stretch, its giraffe, at 2 p.m., followed by story time. The library is also having family activities from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
5. The Groton Senior Center will hold its 26th annual Gnog Show at 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 22 if you need a laugh. The event is open to the public, there’s a dinner first and the cost is $12. Seating is limited, so if you’re interested, call the senior center at (860) 441-6785.