1. Today is Friday, Oct. 26. The National Weather Service predicts mostly sunny skies and a high temperature of 65 degrees. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a light wind and a low temperature of 51 degrees.
2. The Groton Board of Education has scheduled a special meeting for 6:45 p.m. on Nov. 5 in the school administration building to discuss topics related to the interim superintendent’s contract. The agenda includes a resolution to establish a 403 contribution by the school board for the position of interim superintendent.
The board approved a contract for Interim School Superintendent John Ramos earlier this month that would pay him $722 a day, with 25 paid holidays. The 403 contribution is needed because the state limits the amount retired employees may collect beyond a certain percentage without penalty.
3. Groton-based Charter Oak Federal Credit Union has received a 5-Star rating from BauerFinancial Inc., signifying it is one of the strongest financial institutions nationwide, according to a news release. Ratings look at capital, profitability and other financial areas. Charter Oak has assets of $753 million and runs 12 branches in New London and Windham counties, the release said.
4. The Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Mystic will hold an Party in Pink Zumbathon event from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Saturday at the studio at 12 Roosevelt Avenue in Mystic. The event raises money for the Susan G. Komen For the Cure and last year raised more than $700. The studio is asking for a $15 donation at the event, but you do not have to be a student at the studio to attend. For more information, call (860) 245-0037.
5. The T.R. Mockler Artist Studio in Noank, will hold a special opening from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. on Sunday, rain or shine. The studio is next to the Post Office behind the Noank Community Market and Universal Package Store. Festivities will include a wine tasting at Universal Store and food samples by the community market. Parker Townson and Mark DeSousa will provide live music. For more information, call (860) 460-7659.