A fire at Ledgewood Condominiums in Groton today injured one man and displaced a tenant who lived in the adjoining apartment, Groton City Fire Chief Nicholas Delia said.
The injured man was not identified, but declined medical treatment at the scene. Delia said the man was a plumber working in the bathroom at 294 Meridian Street, Apt. D, when the fire broke out. He burned his hands, Delia said.
Firefighters found smoke coming through the apartment and the eves when they arrived, but the fire was contained to the bathroom. Firefighters also broke through a wall into the adjacent apartment to make sure the fire had not spread.
Apartment D, which caught fire, does not have a tenant living there. Apartment C next door does has a tenant.
Delia said that tenant would make arrangements to stay elsewhere or the Red Cross would be contacted.
Valerie Tremblay, who lives in the building next door, said she heard fire trucks, opened her door and smelled smoke.
"The first thing that went through my head was, 'Go get all my pictures,'" she said. Tremblay lives in the apartment with her husband and two young children.
Neighbors said the woman who lives in Apartment C had recently moved in. Ledgewood has about 80 condominiums, and a mix of young families and older residents.
Delia said he did not have an estimate of the damage.
In addition to the Groton City Fire Department, Electric Boat Fire, the Poquonnock Bridge Fire Department, Center Groton Fire Department, Subase Fire Department, Old Mystic Fire Department, Groton Ambulance and paramedics arrived at the scene.