Looking to file an appeal regarding your taxes?
The Groton assessor’s office is taking applications for appeals of the 2012 grand list for real estate and personal property and the 2011 supplemental motor vehicle grand list.
Applications are available from the town Assessor's Office at 45 Fort Hill Road and online at www.groton-ct.gov now through to Feb. 20.
The town's Board of Assessment Appeals will then hold hearings in the Assessor's Office in March, with dates to be determined.
To request an appeal, you may mail, hand deliver or fax the “Application to the Board of Assessment Appeals” to the fax number (860) 441-6678. The original copy must follow by mail, and the office must have the appeal application by Feb. 20; postmarks are not considered timely filing.
Here’s what you need, according to the town website:
- The property owner’s name
- The name and position of the person signing the appeal application
- The property location and pin number of the parcel
- The name, address and phone number of the person who needs a reply
- The reason for the appeal
- The property owner’s estimate of the value
- The signature of each property owner
- The date the appeal was signed
For business personal property, you also need a copy of your most recent income tax return.
For more information, residents can call the Assessor's Office at at (860) 441-6660. Remember that Town Hall is closed Feb. 18 in observance of Presidents' Day.