1. Today is Monday, Feb. 4. The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 35 degrees. Tonight will be cloudy, with a low of 19 degrees and a 30 percent chance of snow, mostly after midnight.
2. The Groton Board of Education will hold a public hearing on the proposed education budget from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. today in the Town Hall Annex. The board will hear public comment on the budget for the coming fiscal year, and then review it. Other topics scheduled for discussion include the transportation contract and the achievement gap.
3. Groton’s tax relief program for elderly and disabled renters helped 612 applicants last year, according to the town manager’s weekly status report. The program year runs from May 15 until Sept. 15, and awarded $289,000 in rebates, or an average of $473 per applicant. The program provides partial reimbursement of rent and utilities to low-income elderly and disabled renters who have lived in the state at least one year.
4. The Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce will hold a farewell gathering for outgoing president Tricia Cunningham from 4:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Feb. 20 at the Mystic Marriott. The event includes hors d’ouevres and a cash bar. For more information, contact (860) 572-9578.
5. The Groton Senior Center is selling a cookbook of its members’ favorite recipes, called “No Strings Attached” for $10. To pick one up, call the senior center at (860) 446-6785.